Located on what many deem to be the most coveted spot in Palo Alto – the “island” block of Forest Avenue – this home is a rare offering indeed. A just-completed update of the circa 1922 bungalow blends original architectural Arts and Crafts character with crisp fresh finishes for today. A herringbone brick walkway, flanked by privacy hedges on the sidewalk-lined street, enters a large front yard with ample room for play and gardening. The home’s original front porch now serves as a welcoming fully enclosed, window-lined parlor with paneled ceiling and modern of-the-era light fixture. Newly refinished hardwood floors and new paint extend throughout.
From the parlor, a true divided light door opens to the spacious central living room, which features signature vintage details like the dropped plate rail molding encircling the room, glass-front cabinetry with a decidedly Craftsman flair, and built-in banquette seating. A wood-burning fireplace is outlined in original clinker bricks – another tribute to the home’s early Arts and Crafts style.
The crisp white kitchen has tiled counters with contrasting trim, a butcher block counter for added functionality, plus a gas range and refrigerator. A glass-paned door opens to the adjacent laundry room with washer, dryer, sink, and door to the rear yard. The home has two bedrooms, each with ample closet space plus direct access to a bathroom with wood-paneled tall wainscot and clawfoot tub with overhead shower – yet another reminder of this home’s enchanting heritage. The front bedroom also features double true divided light French doors opening to an ideal home office.
Rounding out the property is a detached structure for one-car parking or storage, plus a spacious, low-maintenance sunny rear yard with potential for expansion of the home. Plus, this home has access to acclaimed Palo Alto schools and is less than one mile from shops and restaurants on University Avenue.
Summary of the Home
- Freshly updated circa 1922 Arts and Crafts bungalow in Palo Alto’s most coveted location – the “island” block of Forest Avenue
- 2 bedrooms, office, and 1 bathroom
- Refinished hardwood floors and new paint throughout
- Spacious central living room with clinker brick fireplace, glass-front cabinetry, and banquette seating and wrap around windows
- Bright and light kitchen with gas range and refrigerator
- Separate laundry room with washer, dryer, sink, and outside rear entrance
- Front bedroom with separate office, dressing room, and direct access to the bathroom
- Second bedroom with large closet and direct access to the bathroom
- Vintage-style bathroom with single-sink vanity and clawfoot tub with overhead shower all surrounded in tall wood-paneled wainscot
- Detached structure for one-car parking or storage
- Low-maintenance sunny rear yard plus large front yard lined with privacy hedges
- Approximately 1,372 square feet of living space
- Lot size of approximately 7,207 square feet
- Excellent Palo Alto schools