This mid-century modern jewel is tucked away on a quiet lane off the most desirable block in all of Menlo Park. Enveloped by verdant privacy foliage on a corner lot of approximately one-third acre, this home embodies all the timeless architectural principles of its original 1957 heritage. Sleek lines, expansive floor-to-ceiling windows, and minimalist simplicity converge seamlessly with the outdoors capturing the essence of mid-century modern design.
Inside the double front doors with exquisitely carved metal hardware, fine hardwood floors span the entire home, with many rooms showcasing a herringbone parquet pattern that has beautifully withstood the test of time. The floor plan exudes an abundance of natural light, a hallmark of the era and architectural style that revolutionized the concept of indoor/outdoor living. Almost every room connects to the wraparound grounds, with a sun-swept rear terrace and side yard with pool and spa, for a fluid circulation that works equally well for entertaining as it does for everyday living.
Walls and ceilings feature a harmonious blend of wood paneling, white bricks, and traditional sheetrock for a soothing visual composition. The entire palette, including all tile selections, is organic in nature. Public rooms are ever so spacious with a grand living room with fireplace, adjoining library, oversized formal dining room, plus flexible-use den or office. The kitchen is classic vintage with a focal point stained glass window that serves as a backsplash above the gas cooktop as well as a decorative piece of art above counter seating in the adjacent dining room. There is also a large family room that doubles as a pool-side venue for entertaining.
Personal accommodations comprise three bedrooms and two baths, highlighted by a primary suite with three closets, two sets of sliding glass doors to the grounds, and updated en suite bath with its own private patio. The two additional bedrooms each have sliding glass doors to the grounds and are served by the second bath with tub, open shower, and dual-entry access to the family room and pool.
Embodying the allure of mid-century modern aesthetics, this home offers a wonderful opportunity to restore this architectural gem or to consider alternative options at this premier setting in Menlo Park just one-half mile from downtown shops and restaurants.
- Rare opportunity to remodel, live-in, or build.
- Vintage mid-century modern architecture, circa 1957
- Premier corner lot on a quiet lane off the most desirable block in all of Menlo Park
- 3 bedrooms and 2 baths on one level
- Hardwood floors throughout, many in herringbone parquet pattern
- Mid-century architecture features beamed and paneled ceilings, entire walls of to-the-floor glass, transoms for added natural light, and some walls in brick or wood paneling
- Spacious living room with fireplace and adjoining library with wall of shelves plus banquette seating
- Open formal dining room has an entire wall of glass and bar seating beneath a stained glass window
- Paneled den or office with built-ins and transoms on two sides
- Kitchen in vintage chic style with decorative tile backsplash and garden views
- Thermador gas cooktop and two ovens, Bosch dishwasher, and Sub-Zero refrigerator
- Large family room opens to the pool terrace and has access to a dual-entry bath
- Primary bedroom with updated en suite bath with shower and private patio
- Two bedrooms, each opening to the outdoors, served by a dual-entry sky-lit bath with tub and open shower
- Large sky-lit laundry room with sink and washer/dryer
- Sun-swept side yard with dark-bottom pool and spa
- Approximately 2,590 square feet plus 2-car attached garage on a 14,605-square-foot lot
- Coveted west Menlo Park just one-half mile from downtown
- Excellent Menlo Park public and private schools