In the heart of central Atherton, this estate property has been masterfully renovated inside and out while maintaining all the architectural integrity of the home’s circa 1928 heritage. The extraordinary detail outside – with wrought iron railings, arches with corbels, and classic red tile roof – has been transformed with highlights that bring the home to life in vivid detail.
The original front door with speakeasy window still stands today as a reminder of the home's original Spanish character. Through the door, the entire renovation unfolds across two levels where every wall is newly finished with a high-level smooth surface crisply painted in white. Italian Carrara marble appoints the floor of the entrance salon calling attention to the sweeping rebuilt staircase with preserved original iron railings. European white oak floors in the perfect hue begin in the ballroom-scaled living room in a herringbone pattern beneath a barrel-vaulted ceiling that showcases the room's elegant simplicity. A striking gas-log fireplace is surrounded in solid Carrara marble, and 4 sets of French doors open to the grounds. Preceding the living room through an arched opening is a secondary outside entrance plus direct access to a main-level bedroom suite with all-marble bath, including walls, and heated floors that are found in every bath.
On the opposite side of the entrance salon, step down to the formal dining room, which has dual French doors to the rear terrace with fireplace for al fresco enjoyment. The adjacent kitchen and family room combination is certain to be the heart of the home for everyday living. A separate butler's room assists with entertaining, and a waterfall-wrapped island with seating invites friends and family to join in with the chef. Sleek cabinetry in contrasting hues of grey is topped in Calacatta marble-style quartz, and a suite of Miele and Sub-Zero appliances stand ready for the most demanding chef. The open family room has a lofty ceiling outlined in transom windows above five double French doors. A linear gas fireplace is positioned beneath wiring for media. Easily meeting today's needs, a dedicated office is surrounded with open shelving and features a shiplap-paneled cathedral ceiling. Rounding out the main level is a guest powder room plus a full bath near an outside entrance.
Upstairs, the landing area is beautifully appointed with custom cabinetry that curves along one wall and banks of ribbon glass that frame the stairwell filtering natural light below. The primary bedroom suite is a haven within a haven beneath a towering shiplap-paneled cathedral ceiling and with French doors to a private rear terrace. A second French door opens to a spacious newly added tiled terrace accented with railings matching the home's original ones. Beautifully veined Calacatta marble finishes the en suite bath with its large shower, relaxing tub, and private commode area. There are two additional bedrooms, each with well-appointed en suite marble bath, including one with built-in cabinetry plus two workstations and one with access to an original front balcony. Rounding out the main home is the finished lowermost level with two large flexible-use rooms ideal for fitness, recreation, and/or storage needs.
The detached guest house is equally well appointed with the same finishes found in the main residence. A spacious living room has French doors to the rear grounds plus an open modern kitchen with waterfall-wrapped quartz peninsula and high-end stainless steel appliances, including a gas range, microwave, dishwasher, and refrigerator. There is a separate bedroom with outside access plus a bath with large frameless-glass shower. Behind-the-scenes and throughout the property, all infrastructure has been upgraded and plans are available for additional landscaping that includes a pool and spa.
Summary of Home:
- Whole-home renovation with respect for its original 1928 heritage
- Approximately 0.88 acre (38,250 sf)
- 4 bedrooms, office, and 5.5 baths in the main residence plus detached 1-bedroom, 1-bath guest house with kitchen
- Approximately 6,959 sq. ft.
- Main home: 5,559 sq. ft.
- Guest house: 740 sq. ft.
- Garage: 660sq. ft.
- Hardwood floors and newly finished walls plus all new windows and doors (excluding original front door with speakeasy window)
- Stunning entrance salon with white marble floor and cascading staircase with preserved iron railing
- Ballroom-scaled living room with fireplace and barrel-vaulted ceiling
- Formal dining room opens to the rear terrace with fireplace
- Designer kitchen with sleek modern cabinetry, island with seating, and adjoining butler’s kitchen
- Miele gas range with griddle and pot filler, oven, microwave, and dishwasher, plus Sub-Zero refrigerator and U-Line wine cooler
- Family room with linear gas fireplace and multiple French doors to the grounds
- Office with built-ins
- Main-level half-bath and full bath with shower
- Privately located main-level bedroom with en suite bath
- Upstairs primary suite with two large private balconies, walk-in closet, and en suite Calacatta marble bath with tub, shower, and private commode room
- Two additional bedrooms, one with two workstations, one with front balcony, and each with en suite bath (one with shower and one with tub and overhead shower)
- Two large flexible-use rooms on the lower level with finished walls and painted concrete floors
- Detached refinished guest house with living room, full kitchen with island, bedroom, and bath with frameless-glass shower
- Detached 2-car garage
- All-new infrastructure, including air conditioning, Nest thermostats, distributed sound, and security system; heated floors in all bathrooms in main residence and guest house
- Additional landscape plans available, including pool and spa